10.24.2006

Infrastructure as Instrument


T H E S I S F R A M E W O R K


Domain: position within the discourse
At its most basic level, urban design theory divides into utopian and natural models. The former relies on comprehensive vision and revision while the latter promotes incremental growth and gradual change. Architects must stake their authorship in the spectrum, and this study asserts that infrastructure is the tool for balancing top-down with bottom-up. Infrastructural operations offer large-scale design methodologies that exchange architects’ signature-making egos for leading roles in complex, collaborative place-making processes. By harnessing infrastructure’s design potential, architects can assume a more active and effective place among planners, developers, and other agents of urban change. Infrastructural architecture presents a conceptual framework for open-ended inter-scalar design, as advocated by contemporary architectural theorists and practitioners such as Stan Allen, Jesse Reiser, MVRDV, and FOA. These architects in turn follow the legacy of (among others) the Metabolists, Archigram, Archizoom, Superstudio, the Smithsons, and the Situationists.
Currently, spatially significant infrastructural elements belong to—or can be broken up into—one of two generic components, termed by Stan Allen corridor and patch. Corridor refers to a linear configuration, ranging in scale from The High Line to the Panama Canal. Patch denotes its nonlinear counterpart, manifesting in forms as diverse as Paris’ place and Tokyo’s depato. This thesis proposal investigates both corridor and patch in addition to a third, more nuanced iteration: the emergent point.

Objectives: goals / intents / questions
One fundamental urban question is primary for this thesis: how does an architect give space to the active unfolding of urban life without abrogating his responsibility to provide some form of order? In my proposal, I use infrastructure as a mediating force to concede and embrace an operative realism regarding architects’ design control. My intent is not to define specified functions, but to charge a field wherein a range of possible events might take place. Infrastructure operates in the continuum between utopian conception and dystopian response. Evading pro- and anti- rhetoric, it suspends judgment and tunes itself to forces at work in the urban environment.

Proposition: how the objectives can be met
My proposal coordinates urban forces, activating its context to produce a range of overlaps, adjacencies, and simultaneities. Its open webs condense and recalibrate patterns of urban life. Internal connections govern my proposal more than by any global figure. Porously interconnected, nodes and transitional spaces form a fabric of variable space.
In the shift from architecture to urbanism, a corresponding shift occurs in my proposal’s organizational logic. In place of cellular aggregation a new, more clearly hierarchical organizational pattern appears. Stems branch laterally, allocating regions and clusters of density.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew_Ballard said...

In a sense, my statement is DELIBERATELY "double speak," as traced to Orwell's B vocabulary of Newspeak. It is intended to impose a desirable mental attitude upon the person writing or reading the term. For Orwell the concept was politically manipulative and euphemistic, but for me the concept is atmospheric, suggestive, and tentatively generative. It is the cloud out of which my proposition emerges.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Andrew_Ballard said...

Mark,
Thanks for your critique last night and for your response on the blog. I'm glad I gave that feeble little stab at a physical proposition but you're right (as I understood you)--it's a bit of an "oh . . . [shrug][sigh]" to invest my thesis in a novel piece of tectonics and my real intent is not to expound a global imperative to pile garbage cans into highway overpasses. I want to design something (goddammit) but the design should be part of something larger . . . and more needlessly dense and complex. Then I'll be happy. So I think that the ideas I talked about will re-enter the thesis at some level, but the conversation helped me re-center my real interest. More than anything I want to play and be sarcastically non-threatening . . . and needlessly dense and complex. I'm glad I have you as a professor because that seems to be how you operate (albeit much more loosely) and at the same time you're able to capture all that hazy tangential energy with the tectonics of your projects, even if you don't like the term. I want to access that physical, visceral level . . . through whatever means makes sense or nonsense.
Anyway, I read your response and I'll play around with it . . . my quip to Amy was sincerely smart-ass and the other way around and I'm glad you took to the notion. I'm not sure I understand the proto-fascist relevance yet--although it's very interesting in terms of taking the internal-coherence concept to its extreme--but I definitely perked up to Tarantino. I think I take to him the most because he reminds me of Rem Koolhaas. Do you agree that Koolhaas is to architecture what Tarantino is to film?
The best part about my thesis is that the pressure's completely off me--not only do I have an extra year, but nobody expects a Branner thesis to be any good because they're usually absolute heroic overwhelmed crap. Brumo's was good but that was just because he wasn't heroic enough. Which is just to say that I'm game.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home